Instead, set yourself up for success to reach your health goals, and do your brain and body a world of good while you're at it: A little advanced planning to fill your pantry and fridge with life-sustaining foods makes it easy to whip up a healthful meal or snack, or grab it on the go. Imagine having a salad bar in your fridge? Your kitchen becomes your very own enticing gourmet health food store.
Whether you are gluten-free, vegan, keto or any other dietary practice, the magic formula to stabilizing blood sugar, reducing cravings, losing weight, sustaining energy and feeling your best is: Fiber + Protein + Healthy Fat at each meal. I can't say this enough.
Practice Healthy Shortcuts
Stock the pantry with healthful, organic “convenience” foods so you can put a meal together quickly, without sacrificing nutrition. For example, wash, chop and store veggies in glass containers in the fridge for several days to have them on hand. Hard boil 6-12 eggs. Steam or roast sweet potatoes or fingerlings and keep in the fridge. Great basics to have on hand include:
- frozen organic veggies like spinach, cauliflower rice, and peas;
- pre-washed and packaged organic greens;
- fresh cukes, radishes, carrots, tomatoes and jicama to chop and store in glass containers for that week;
- fresh herbs;
- hard boiled organic, pastured eggs
- heat-and-eat organic quinoa and brown rice packs;
- canned organic lentils and chickpeas in BPA-free cans;
- canned wild-caught salmon or leftover protein from last night's dinner;
- almonds or other favorite nuts;
- and sauerkraut to name a few.
Just whip up a jar of extra virgin olive oil, your favorite vinegar, a spoonful of mustard or tahini to emulsify, salt and pepper and you can have a healthy meal on the table in less than 20 minutes. Grab my Healthy Pantry List here for more shortcuts to have on hand.
This beautiful salad took me less than 10 minutes to put together since my ingredients were ready and waiting for me.
Pre-blanched green beans, steamed fingerling potatoes, a box of washed arugula, hard-boiled eggs, leftover roasted wild salmon, tomatoes, and lots of fresh chopped herbs made for a very satisfying, blood-sugar balancing meal.