Imagine being taught these facts when we were young. Instead, we grew up in an era of low-fat, high carb, convenience, junk, and fast food. With food companies paying fortunes to discover the best shelf-stable chemical additives, the most addictive puffy, sugary, crunchy snack foods, and the "prettiest" pesticide- and herbicide-covered crops, we've come a long way from our healthful, ancestral way of eating. Fast-forward to our current decade, and fortunately we can fill ourselves with hope and excitement, not to mention healthful food! We are becoming so much wiser influencing the food industry to begin making big changes, removing chemicals, dyes, and false promises and adopting transparency around added sugar and GMOs. Science-backed facts we now know:
- The root cause of almost all chronic and lethal diseases including arthritis, autoimmune diseases, IBS, heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's: Inflammation and gut imbalance.
- The source of inflammation and gut imbalance: Stress.
- An expanded definition of stress: We typically think of stress as stemming from emotional triggers. We now know that the physical stress of eating poorly causes the same responses in our hormones, our digestive systems, and our immunity as emotional stressors. Food and thoughts impact our health.
- The natural method to tackle inflammation and gut imbalance: By eating a mostly plant-based diet, learning to read labels, avoiding chemicals, pesticides and herbicides, discovering food intolerances, and by intentionally shifting our thoughts towards more loving, positive, constructive ones, we impact our hormones, our digestive systems, our immunity, and our vitality.
- Reducing inflammation and improving digestive system health helps prevent and reverse chronic symptoms and diseases. I know this firsthand as I reversed my own diagnoses of lupus, arthritis, osteoporosis, and pre-diabetes all through changes in diet and lifestyle, without medication.
- The magic that happens at the cellular level: 95% of our genes are impacted by our lifestyles; only 5% are "fixed." This means we can affect our genes by the foods we eat and the thoughts we create!